What causes severe itching on the body when allergic cats?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am allergic to cats and my wife has a cat. I've managed this OK but recently have terrible itching in bed at night. The cat is never in our bedroom. Itching is neck area, elbows, knees and ankles. Tonight it was so bad I cannot stay in bed. I showered and feeling less itching.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Scabies or an allergic reaction, answer few questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through complaints and it could be either scabies contracted from the cat most likely or a simple allergic reaction to a cat.
I would like to ask you few questions.
What is the duration of itching?
Is your cat also having itching or bumps on the body?
Are you having more itching at night?
Is your wife having itching?
Kindly revert with the answers.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 15 hours later
Hi Dr. Asmeet,
The itching comes and goes and usually last 2-3 hrs.
I don't think the cats has any bumps or itching.
Yes, the itching is mainly at night. I tried another bed but seems the same.
My wife is not allergic to the cat and not showing symptoms.
I was out of the house for 7-8 hrs. today and did feel better outside the house.
I do wear a mask in the house which does eliminate sneezing/wheezing but this painful, sometime itchy rash-like symptom a relatively new. My neck area is the most sensitive.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic reaction, topical steroid and antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
According to your complaints you seem to be having an allergic reaction to cat.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply a topical steroid like clobetasol propionate cream on the affected areas twice daily and take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg twice daily for 10-14 days.
Steroidal preparations are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
These will help in dealing with the rashes and allergy but a very important thing is that you need to stay away from cat.