What causes severe itching on the body during pregnancy?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,

My wife is into her 8th month of pregnancy (started on Nov 10) and has been experiencing itching for the last two weeks. It was not improving and we got the LFT test done today. Could you please help us in understanding the report and what can be done to minimize itching.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cholestatis of pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care .
I have gone through your history and reports and understand your concerns.
You are having cholestatis of pregnancy in which obstruction of bile duct occur due to pregnancy.
It may cause itching and sometimes jaundice.
You can take high carbohydrate, low fat diet.
You can take udiliv tablet after consulting your treating doctor.
You can use coconut oil with camphor for itching or itching.
Hope found useful, feel free to ask more information.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 49 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

We just consulted our treating doctor and she mentioned that these levels are normal in pregnancy and there is nothing to worry about. Do you think we should go for a second opinion?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to go anywhere.

Detailed Answer:
Yes,it is normal physiological changes during pregnancy.
but if level get increased ( not in your case) and itching is there,you need to go for further management.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.