What causes severe itching on legs of child?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: My girl child is 3.5 years old. She has sever scartch and itching problem mostly on legs.
I talked to some doctor but they said caused is unknown and they ask for cetaphil and momete cream. Can any speciliat here to help. Attaching the images of legs.

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To me it appears to be papular urticaria

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the query
I have gone through the images and the lesions look like papular urticaria.
Papular urticaria is caused due to hypersensitivity to mites,mosquitos,bed bugs,moths etc.
These lesions are common in pediatric age group and the frequency decreases as the child grows.
The management is conservative as advised by your doctor antiallergic with mild steroid.
Papular urticaria has a propensity to recur and each time management remains the same unless it gets infected.
I would suggest you to use insecticide and mosquito repellents aggrasively to avoid any contact with these insects.
Cataphil is an emollient (used to prevent dryness and as soothening agent) momet contains mometasone a steroid.
Along with this I would suggest you to give antihistamine like cetrizine to relieve itching.
Maintain proper hygiene to avoid any secondary infection.
I hope this helps.
I shall be glad to answer if you have any more query.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 6 hours later
Thanks Doctor. Which insecticide /mosquitos repillant? Using odomus everyday but doubt on effectiveness.if citrizine what would be the dose and frequency you suggest?? Till how many days that can be contiue??? Also how many time to use cetaphile and mamoto ..we are applying for this more than year its now twice/thrice daily.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can give cetrizine for 2-3 weeks and then as and when required

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up

Using Odomus is quite enough.Apart from this use repellent spray(Hit/Mortein) to keep the insects away.You can also use mosquito net if there are too many mosquitos.
I would like to say that although it is said that mosquito can cause papular urticaria,but apart from this there are many other insects which can cause this urticaria.Even no cause has been identified in many cases.
I would like to know whether these skin lesions are persistent or gets improved and recur again.
If the mometasone is not working you can apply betamethasone a more potent steroid.
You can apply it twice or thrice as usual.It can be used for 3-4 weeks in a stretch.
Cetrizine syrup comes in a strength of 5 mg per 5 ml.
At 3.5 year of age you can give 5 ml once during bed time and you can continue it for 2-3 weeks depending on the symptoms.
It is a prescription drug so I would request you to get it prescribed by a physician.

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology