question-icon

What causes severe itching on abdomen during pregnancy?

Posted on Tue, 15 Dec 2015
Question: My Query To Dr XXXXXXX HEIJEBU.

I need a second opinion of yours:
Iam XXXX. Age 24. Im 6 months pregnant. I have serious itching problem on abdomen. I need to know the reason why it is caused and what are its effects.

Please give your vlauable suggestion.

Thank you n advance
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Possible benign pruritis of pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I can certainly understand your concerns.

I apologize for the delayed response owing to my work schedule.

I have worked through your query in detail.

Pregnancy is an immunocompromised state.

Symptoms like truncal itch could be either due to mild, superficial skin fungal infection or could be due to idiopathic pruritis of pregnancy.

In both cases the outcome is usually good.

Topical application of emollients will help to reduce the itching sensation.

Topical application of Fluconazole cream is advisable for 3 days .This drug is safe in pregnancy and has no ill effects on growing fetus.

Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these medications to you.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Prasanna Heijebu