What causes severe itching in the anus?

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Tue, 2 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a very itchy anus,i have had this for well over a year,i suffer with piles but this itching is not just from them.Its all the left side which gets very sore.Its sometimes like a prickly itch.Itches day and night
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Itching and sore on one side points to worsening piles. Consult surgeon.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcaremagic and thank you for your query.

I understand your predicament and your agony.

You have mentioned that the itching and soreness is localized to the left side, this alone is a strong pointer towards a local pathology (in your case, worsening hemorrhoids).

Hemorrhoids/piles are nothing but engorged and twisted veins, and the main problem with them is that the blood in these veins becomes stagnated because of back pressure, and when that happens, the veins enlarge further, and the blood seeps out into the tissue surrounding the veins.

When the blood seeps out, it gets broken down and that causes itching, and if you itch repeatedly, you will end up with sores that do not heal for long times.

These sores are called varicose ulcers and they are treated by treating the primary cause.

You need to make sure you are not constipated, for which you must keep your stools soft by increasing fibers in your diet and you can also take syrups containing methylcellulose which will soften the stools and reduce constipation.

There is a remote possibility of pin worm infestation, this can be easily tackled with taking a dose of 400 mg of Albendazole - easily available OTC from your nearest pharmacy.

Please consult your treating surgeon and get yourself looked at, to assess the hemorrhoids properly and you might require hemorrhoidectomy to relieve you of the constant itching and pain.

If you have open sores, apply mupirocin ointment locally, keep the area dry with applying a gauge bandage, clean the wound with povidon iodine solution twice a day.

To ease passing motion, you may use a suppository like Ointment Smuth.

I hope this answers your question adequately, please do feel free to write back to me if you have additional questions.

Wishing you best of health and speedy recovery.

Warm regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 8 hours later
My skin all around the left side the darker area is what itches,also can see what looks like a scar tissue which is also very itchy,it feels sore even though i have no visible sores.I have taken in the past a tablet for threadworm,not sure if these are the same,but still made no difference.If no luck i will try and see my doctor which is not easy.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
The tablet would be similar, you need examination.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

I would still attribute the itchiness and soreness to the piles.

Please follow my recommendations which I have mentioned in my earlier response, in addition to that, do sitz bath (you can look up information online about how to do it) and do see a surgeon first and if he/she recommends, a skin specialist.

I do understand that it is not easy to get a doctor to see you, hence my suggestions.

Hope you will feel better soon.