• question-icon

What causes severe itching during chemotherapy procedure?

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Cancer
Question: In the course of chemotherapy I have developed extreme itching in various locations in my torso. This
itching cannot be treated with skin remedies. I have tried many. Every day it finds a new area. I have also tried antihistimine pills. Ice on the affected area helps a little. Doctor says it is not the chemo, but doesn't know what
it is. It is driving me crazy as it has been going on for more than 10 days now. Bindind the area sometimes relieves the mild itching.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. A skin specialist opinion is advisable

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear.
I have gone through the query.

Itching as a side effect of chemotherapy is explained only by an allergic phenomenon. But this should be short lived and occur immediately after giving chemo.
I would advise you to take opinion from a skin doctor for other causes of itching.
However in my practice I have found short course of steroids as well as lactocalamine lotion to be very effective in relieving resistant type of itching. You can try this.

Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist