Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

138 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes severe itching and redness in and around scrotum area?

Answered by
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 3695 Questions

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Yes, I am a man 81 years old and have developed a severe case of itching in my crotch and scrotum area!
there is no sign of a rash except a redness from my scratching. I have put on different anti-itch lotions with minor relief . It is usually worst in the evening when i go to bed. What could it be and how can I treat it?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answer few questions

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints and it seems to be pruritus.
Do you have any other ailments as it can sometimes be associated with diabetes?
Are you taking any medicines?
Do you get excessive sweating in the affected areas?
Do you have history of dry skin, hay fever, asthma?
Kindly revert with the answers.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 9 hours later
I have dry skin problems but only in the winter months. I have a heart mummer and I have a slight A-vib I'm told. Also I do suffer from some arthritis. I am a very active 81 year old man. I play handball 2-3 times a week, snow ski in the winter and water ski and golf in the summer time1 I do not sweat very much however,
These are the meds that I take daily: aspirin 81 MG, Celecoxib 200 MG, irbesartan 75 MG,metoprolol 25 MG, and Magnesium 400MG.
Waiting for further answers, thank you.

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cortisone cream and antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
According to your complaints it seems to be pruritus most likely related to dryness and age.
I would recommend you to apply cortisone cream on the affected areas twice daily and take antihistaminic like tablet Chlorpheniramine maleate 4 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.
This should subside your problem.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on