What causes severe itching and burning sensation in vagina while on IVF?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I have done successful embryo transfer in IVF process 5 days back. I am on 400mg Gestone tablet to insert in vagina with other tablet course. There is lot of itching and burning sensation nearby vaginal area. Also i am getting burning sensation with hot water while passing urine. There is frequent urination also i am having lot of water. Can you please help me is there any thing to worry?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
I think you are having a urinary tract infection.
There could be associated vaginal infection too.
Please consult your doctor immediately for an internal check up and urine routine microscopy testing.
You might need antibiotics to cure the infection.
ALso, drink atleast 3 - 4 litres of water daily, as that will help in controlling the infection.
All the best.
Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Yes I am drinking lots of Water.My main concern is weather it will effect on my embryo transfer or Pregnancy? Is it Due to Gestone 400 mg which i am inserting twice daily.

Please help.Waiting for an answer.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Gestone 400 cannot lead to an infection.
Trim your nails and try and make the tablet a bit wet before inserting.
NO it will not affect the embryo transfer or your chances of pregnancy.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
Can I apply cream for itching near vaiginal area which I used before when was having itching?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Yes definitely you can use that cream.
But better is to consult your doctor.