• question-icon

What causes severe heartburn and watery diarrhea after hiatal hernia surgery?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Lump
Question: can you please tell me how long is considered normal or typical for a hiatal hernia repair to return to normal, that is, is it normal to have severe heart burn and watery diarrhea (just the diarrhea) daily for a month after the procedure?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
One to three months

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Hiatal hernia surgery is a typical and unique in a sense that it is difficult to predict the outcome of this surgery, its sequel and complications.
The response and results vary from person to person.
Usually the post-operative symptoms may reduce over one to three months period with the help of medications, diet adjustments, lifestyle changes and as would have been advised by your Team of Medical Professionals.
In the meanwhile your can try the following:
Identify the factors, diet and beverages that instigate or enhance the loose stools. Add curd/yogurt, banana to the diet.
There are many home remedies that you can find and discuss with your Doctor/Team and follow such things after their approval for the symptoms that you have.
You may need a few investigations like upper GI Endoscopy/Barium swallow and follow-through if the symptoms persist.
If Imodium is not much helping, other ways should be tried.
I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries
if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon