What causes severe headache with clicking sounds in the jaw joint?

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Dear Sir,
I am suffering from terrible headache since last 3 months. The only thing which i have observed is that while moving my head from either left to right or right to left i am getting clicking sound. Its not coming from neck but its coming from head. Please help me to find the reason for this clicking sound.
Note that i was having clicking sound from TMJ while opening mouth from since last 1 year on both left & right side. I did X-Ray of open & close mouth even MRI of open & close mouth @ same time. X-ray is showing Lower jaw is not properly opening & closing for left & right side but MRI is showing no abnormality. After consulting with a doctor, there is no clicking sound from left joint but clicking from Right jaw is happening rarely. Can you please help me why there is difference between X-ray & MRI.
Which report i have to consider for my TMJ.
Also, please let me know clicking sound from head while moving head from right to left or left to right, whether is it coming from TMJ. Note that earlir i was getting clicking sound from TM joint itself in mouth opening position but now i am getting clicking sound from head while moving it from R to L & L to R.
I am getting severe headache from bottom of head (i.e. part of head starting above neck) towards temple & forehead. I am doing yoga as well but not getting relief in headache.
Please help me to find the reason for clicking sound from head & also suggest the reports which i needs to do for the same. I am not getting time from office hours to visit a doctor as i joined the company newly.
Please help me soon as headache is unbearable. My life is impacting because of this.
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Clicking sound is considered as normal

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HealthcareMagic for your health related doubts

I can understand your concern. First of all I'd like to tell you that as your MRI is normal so I don't think there is any serious underlying problem. X-ray of TMJ showing that lower jaw is not moving properly and this is not a thing to concern. A repeat X ray should be done to find out if the thing is repetitive.

Movement of jaw results in clicking sound in some individuals and this should be ignored.

MRI is a very sensitive investigation while X ray has not much sensitivity.

For headache drugs like TCAs can help. Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline etc can be used for relief of headache. Regular use of these drugs will also reduce the occurrence of clicking sound coming from head too. So you can visit a doctor for evaluation and if needed start taking the drugs I've mentioned.

Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana