• question-icon

What causes severe headache while on Ibuprofen?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have had a headache for a few days now. it won't go away. it mostly hurts on one side or the other but some on the top too.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Use ibuprofen for few days.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Causes of such type of headaches include sinusitis ( sinuses infection ), eyesight issues ( refractory problems ), tension type headaches, post viral infection, etc.

It is necessary to use painkillers such ibuprofen 3x 400 mg daily for a couple of days, to rest, avoid heat.

If the headaches persist after another couple of days you should get examined by your primary care Doctor who can order other consultations and tests in order to achieve a correct diagnosis.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 8 hours later
3 or 4 weeks ago I had acute respiratory infection and pleusity I seem to feel much better from it but I have a cough. mostly dry cough. when will it go away or is that normal? could the headache be related?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cough may be the culprit.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Coughing too often and too much causes episodes of increased intracranial pressure, so, this may be the culprit for your headaches.

Discuss with your Doctor about getting treatment for cough ( codeine, ketotifen, Sudafed etc. ) in order to stop or smothe it.

Use Ibuprofen for headaches.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical