What causes severe hair loss?
Investigations/treatment by specialist
Thanks for the query.
You both are going through a stressful period at present. Though it is natural to be so, you need not be scared- there are scientific ways to find out the cause & you will get a way out.
Hair fall can be due to multiple causes like Genetic, hormonal, infection of hairs, calcium/iron deficiency, psychological stress.
Looking at the information given by you ( good health, normal blood counts, impaired periods, stressful mind) I feel the cause is mostly Hormonal or psychological.
* Hormonal -
1) Thyroid problems
- Hyperthyroidism( associated with - thin built/ normal built person , big protruding eyes,hyper actvity,hair fall, irregular menses )
- Hypothyroidism( with obesity, slow movements ,hair fall, irregular periods)
2) PCOD- It is hormonal imbalance in menstrual cycle ( obesity, painful irregular periods, hair fall)
3) Testosterone predominance ( accompanied by hirsutism -hairs at chin,upper lip,cheek, scalp hair fall, irregular periods.)
* psychological stress- It can bring about- mal nutrition with deficiencies, Hormonal imbalance& irregularity in menses,hair fall)
* To pin point the cause she will need investigations like-
hormonal assessments, serum calcium/iron, USG abdomen, & psychological analysis.
- Rest assured after the investigations, pin pointing the cause will be possible followed by specific treatment.Ideal hair care along with specific treatment would return her normal hairs!
She will need to consult an Endocrinologist/ psychotherapist.
I hope, I have answered your query & satisfied you. Any follow up query is welcome.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What illness causes hair loss
- What causes severe hair loss with normal iron levels
- What causes hair loss in men
- What causes severe hair loss and loss of eyebrow
- Severe hairfall had ivf whats the cause for hair loss
- What is the cause and treatment for hair loss
- What antidepressants cause hair loss
- What causes hair loss when on levothyroxine
- What causes severe d dandruff and hair loss
- What is the cause of recurrent fainting hair loss
- Feeling chill and shaking. Is this a sign of an illness?
- Have high BP, cholesterol and low thyroid. Feel heart rate increases at...
- Having intense burning and noticed swelling in clitoris and labias after...
- Had open surgery for advanced sigmoid colectomy. Watery stools with pain...
- Have severe facial flushing and rosacea. Going through menopause. What...
- Type-2 diabetic, constipated, having abdominal pain after bowel...
- What causes headaches?
- Suggest treatment for recurrent diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for foot infection
- What causes severe hair loss?