question-icon

What causes severe hair loss while on Insulin?

Posted on Wed, 27 Jul 2016
Question: I started taking a new insulin and ever since I have been losing my hair. It's a lot. I am worried.i take Humulin quick pen.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Under active thyroid and anemia should be exluded.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thank you for asking!

I can understand your concern but i would like to inform you that until now it is not reported such a side effect of insulin.

I would suggest you to ecxulde an under active thyroid because hair loss is often a symptom of hypothyroidism.

- TSH, FT4 and FT3 are the hormones that reflect the thyroid function.
-A full blood count helps to decide if anemia is present. It may also be a cause of hair loss.

Please attach the result and it will be a pleasure to help you further.

Wish you good health.
Kind regards
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist