question-icon

What causes severe hair loss while on Eltroxin?

Posted on Sun, 21 Oct 2018
Question: Hello Dr . I m 35 year old male and identified hypothyroid and started taking medicine very recently. eltroxin 50 mcg starting 20th XXXXXXX 2018. and took blood test exactly after a month of taking medicine. attached old and new report for your review and advise. my issue is I have quite lot of hair fall for the past 2 weeks and I literally lost 1/4 of my hair and m scared. Pls advise if I need to change to change to nature thyroid or do I need to take any supplements. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
About hypothyroidism treatment.

Detailed Answer:

The TSH hormone was very high one month ago, suggesting for a profound hypothyroidism that needs to be corrected.
The treatment you have started has been efficient because the TSH is improved. Normally, we expect the symptoms to get improved once the under active thyroid is corrected.
We would suggest to change the treatment if the TSH was still high under treatment.

So, there is no need to change to Armor thyroid.
I would suggest to continue with the same dose and check the TSH after 2 week as it needs 6 weeks to see the real result.
If it persists high you need to increase the dose.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Mirjeta Guni,
Endocrinologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist