What causes severe hair fall postpartum?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi. I have been experiencing hair loss intermittently since the birth of my baby 20mos ago. However it has gotten worse over the past month. My scalp is itchy, feels like it burns, and my hair loss is worsened. I started Propranolol 10mg prn for a tremor which means I use it about 1-2 times a week. My dermatologist thinks this dose is to small to account for the symptoms. He recommends I start on Propecia 1mg and use Rogaine. I am wondering if my symptoms are related to Sebborheic Dermatitis. I see many large flakes after washing. And my hair falls out with a white bulb at the end. Please help. This is giving me a lot of anxiety. Thanks a lot.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have you had your thyroid gland checked?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this falling hair. However, seborrheic dermatitis is unlikely to be responsible for this. Sebborrheic dermatitis often starts on very oily parts of the body especially around the nose. Also, this will not cause excessive hair loss.

My immediate thoughts are about the thyroid gland. I will like us to do a rapid TSH level to tell whether this gland is functioning right or not as thyroid related diseases can be responsible for this. Do you have any other symptoms such as excessive fatigue, constipation, dry skin, etc?

Let me know what you think and sure we will be able to start here and work on identifying the exact cause. I will not go with Rogaine/propecia at this time but will like to investigate further by doing a TSH level. Until next, I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 minutes later
Do you think low dose Propranolol is to explain as a possibility of hair loss? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This cannot be explained by low dose propranolol!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up question.

Low dose propranolol cannot explain this hair loss. Again, I will suggest we evaluate thyroid gland which is a known possible cause of hair thinning and hair loss.

I wish you well.