What causes severe foot pain after prolonged standing and hand cramps?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Recently started new job that requires me to be on my feet for 12 hrs a day. Emmeidately started having severe foot pain in the arches and heels of my feet. Then started waking up with severe hand cramps and moving up my forearm waking me up in the middle of the night. Numbness and tingling in the hands constantly.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get vitamin B 12 levels done.

Detailed Answer:

The abnormal sensations that you have such as numbness, tingling are termed peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral Neuropathy is a condition caused by damage to the peripheral nervous system [most commonly seen in diabetic patients]. Another possibility could be nerve compression in spine due to disc bulge.

Change your diet and remove inflammatory foods such as citrus fruits, dairy products and wheat that may aggravate the condition. Simultaneously increase your intake of potassium and calcium-rich foods such as bananas and avocados and green leafy vegetables.

Vitamin B12 is important in the maintenance of health and normal functioning of the nerve tissue and deficiency of it can lead to numbness.I would recommend you to get vitamin B 12 levels done. You can increase B12 level by taking meat and fish, or you can take tab methylcobalamine .

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 22 minutes later
I've been taking Vit B12 tabs for probably 2 years. Right now I have severe swelling in both hands and right foot. I also have a degenerative disc in my neck between C2 and C3. Could that be related? And why did it start so sudden?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be related.

Detailed Answer:

It could be due to nerve compression in spine due to degenerative disc .

It start so sudden due to compression over nerve. I suggest you to get a fresh MRI of spine done. You can share your report with me or with your doctor.

Warm regards.

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement