• question-icon

What causes severe foot and heel pain?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi,
My husband has got severe foot pain both at heel and heel bone. The pain is more if he start to walk. During walking the pain reduces and after some time again the pain continues. From past 3 weeks he is going for jogging and pain started from 2nd week and gradually increased. He stopped joggin from past 2 days and the pain is reduced a little. He wants to continue jogging. Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Plantar fascitis. Needs exercise, medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the query

The symptoms you have described of your husband is exactly fitting of Plantar fascitis.

This occurs due to inflammation of the tissue under the heel bone.

He needs to use soft silicone heel inserts inside his shoes which can be purchased from a pharmacy. Also for jogging, he needs to use shoes with nice cushioning like Basketball shoes and use MCR rubber slippers at home.

Most important us performing Plantar fascia and calf muscle stretching exercises which can be done with the help of Physiotherapist or even can be seen on YouTube. These exercises needs to be done immediately after getting up from bed in the morning and after getting up from chair during the day.

He can take Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day after meals and Tablet Rabeprazole twice a day before meals for 5 days.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon