What causes severe fatigue with upper left abdominal cramps?

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: I have been having near debilitating fatigue for 3-4 months. Several times a week I will have a severe cramping like pain in my upper left abdomen that last 2-3 minutes. It feels like a labor contraction.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
?IBS with debility /Under Investigation

Detailed Answer:
Brief ans-?IBS with debility /Under Investigation

Hi,Welcome and thanks for your query to HCM.
I reviewed your medications with detailed study of your query.

Dear,In this scenario and At your advanced age of 73,I would suggest you as follows-
In My opinion you seem to have either IBS or Ca colon or Diverticulosis of Colon.
And hence to investigate and find out the cause of these severe cramping pains in upper left abdomen,I am suggesting you as follows-
-Consult a GI Surgeon or endoscopist to study and rule out various cause of IBS with debility with these severe pains
-Get the Stool/Blood tests done as per advise of your doctor
-Get Colonoscopy after Contrast CT Study of the colon,which would fix the cause of these severe cramping pains.
-Get the Liver profile and get treated from your doctor.
Your doctor would plan the treatment according to the clinical and lab test investigation findings.
I am suggesting this to you as a precaution to rule out the obstructive pathology like Ca Colon,which You need not worry unless it is proved by these tests.
Remedy for the time being-
Plenty of Fluids
Electrolyt and Sugar Water -in plenty.(Total of 3 liters-of fluids per day)
Bland /low fat/ low protein Diet-
Take Antispasmodic drugs with script from your doctor
Take Antibiotics with Metronidazole as per advise of your doctor.
Take Vitamins and Liver protectors(like Liv-52) to take care of mild hepatitis

Hope this would resolve your health issues.

Welcome for any further query in this regard

If you find this reply satisfactory,Will appreciate you to write excellent feedback review comments,for just to help needy patient visitors like you,at the HCM services.

Wishing you fast recovery.
Good Day!!

Dr.SavasKar M.N. XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D