What causes severe fatigue while treating lupus and Sjogrens disease?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Cancer
Question: I have Lupus and Sjogrens disease..... I am very tired all the time. I am currently taking Plaquinel and 2.5 of Prednisone every day. I am trying to find out what kind of stimulant I can use as the fatigue is effecting my work. What can I take to help pick me up
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to ascertain the contributors to fatigue in you

Detailed Answer:
Hi

There are many factors which can contribute to fatigue in a patient of lupus or sjogrens. Factors that are related to lupus include anemia, fever, and problems of lungs or heart. Decreased exercise capacity from reduced blood flow or inflammation in the muscles can also cause fatigue. In some cases, iron deficiency anemia, low thyroid function, infection and certain medications are responsible. Simple investigations like blood counts, hormonal panel and infection markers will help is ascertaining the cause.

Lack of sleep, fibromyalgia and depression can also contribute to fatigue in patients.

From medicine point of view I think increasing steroids is the right move, maybe for short time to minimize side effects.

There are other things you can do daily to ensure that you aren't always feeling exhausted. Try to pace yourself in your daily activities. Taking frequent planned breaks or a nap during the day — even if you don't feel tired — can help you slow down and give your body the additional rest it may require to get through the day. Plan your day and eliminate unnecessary tasks or chores that can be delegated. Avoid total bed rest, as it can lead to deconditioning of muscles and worsen fatigue.

Hope this helps. I will be available for followup.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 15 minutes later
This is going to cost me my job. I have a management position so I am able to leave work mid morning and take a nap in my car but I cant go on this way. I am not anemic nor do I have sleep apnea as I have been tested for both. Is there nothing I can take for a stimulant to help me get through my day?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no stimulant is approved for fatigue in lupus

Detailed Answer:
I understand your situation. But none of the so called stimulants have been studied well for lupus fatigue and they are not approved for this use. Some small studies have shown no benefit. So they can't be recommended in this setting.

I will be available for followup.