• question-icon

What causes severe fatigue when diagnosed with thyroiditis?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: well i have been very tired today. Yesterday i played golf 18 holes in a cart and later that evening had sex but the day after all of this action i have felt really tired. I have hashimotos thyroiditis and afib but had stress echo about 4 weeks ago and it was ok and I take drug levoxine 75mcg for thyroid. I am wondering or would like some suggestions on what to do. I am 71 years old fairly active. I have been on this site before. I did not eat lunch yesterday because of being on the course but did eat supper. Today i ate good breakfast lite lunch and decent supper but fatigue stopped me from doing a lot today and it was also hot outside so i don't go out on course or outside a lot during 90 degree weather. That is what is happening right now at least a start of my problem.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be electrolyte disturbance

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description, I feel electrolyte disturbance is likely to cause the current problem. Heave exertion followed by use of Sildenafil indicates that hyponatremia is likely to cause which often presents with extreme fatigue and weakness.

The high temperature outside is another contributory factor in the causation of hyponatremia after the heavy exertion activity.

This can be detected with a simple test which is done by almost all laboratories. Regarding correction, it is again simple once you know how much is the imbalance and can be managed by GP.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 9 minutes later
if you feel it might be a electrolyte disturbance do you think i should drink some gatorade or what should i take for this disturbance? I will look up a lab that has that test and do that also. Are there any other things i should do thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Although I feel we should have lab reports in hand before intervening but if there is chance that you may take time to look for lab there is no harm in having two gatorade. If the choice is available for this I will recommend a drink which have good salt content although I am sure that drinks with less salt are more often available.

In case no I think lemon water with added rock salt and sugar can be used for time being. It is possible that you will see dramatic improvement after few drinks.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 days later
i have scheduled the Urine Sodium test which you recommended for hyponatremia and will take it probably friday. Do i have to fast for this test. Also with the heat and this i get a little lightheaded when i stand up quickly but it doesn't happen all the time. I am drinking gatorade right now it lists 160mg of sodium and at store can't find anything stronger or different. i did feel not as tired yesterday however tired and some lightheaded feeling starts my anxiety going. I will just take the test and see what it says and go from there. I am playing golf early tomorrow because of the heat has been in 90s here recently. Thanks for you caring answers i know i experience anxiety and worry so your words mean a lot to me. thanks again XXXXXXX Daley
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for follow up.

I am glad to know that tiredness is little under control and betterment can be expected in coming days. With available description of lightheadedness on rising up on certain occasions it is clear that there is lack of fluids or there is little intake of fluids in compare to loss during perspiration and physical activity.

It is right decision to avoid excessive heat and take more fluids on daily basis. In case you do not find a fluid meeting your requirement take a glass of lemon water and add one gram of table salt and take it twice a day. I am sure that before you take this test the problem will be corrected.

I hope this helps you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future, if you wish to ask any more questions, you can use the below-mentioned link to contact me.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 days later
just got the results back from my sodium urine test and it was 139 What are your thoughts on this number 135-145 was the range in their lab. Should i do anything about it or what should i proceed with or do thank you very much for your answers you have been very helpful
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think that is fine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

I do not think you need to anything at this stage but please take care of your hydration and electrolytes especially when you are out. Presence of lower range despite supplementing sodium indicates that our suspicion was right.

This is also proved by improvement after taking sodium supplementation.

I hope this answers you further.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist