• question-icon

What causes severe fatigue, pain in neck and body post intake of Eliquis?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My dad is 82. He has Parkinson's and Demeentia. he is on Sinemat, Prednisone (for a skin condition), am
Amlopidine, Lantis Pen Injection (5 units), Namenda, Aricept, and Lipitor. He was put on Eliquis on Feb 18th due to two blood clots detected in his leg. Unfortunately he has become extremely fatigued and has developed really bad neck and body pain. The pain papers to have become worse in past weekend unfortunately his primary dr is away no has a fill in doctor on call who docent want to get involved. It's awful seeing him in this pain and won't be able to see a doc until next week. Trying to figure out if we should cut his Eliquis dose in half from 5 mg 2 times a day to 1 a day ? Stop it all together? Or just deal with the pain and Tylenol (even though it doesn't seem to be helping much ) until next week
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No relation between Eliquis and pain

Detailed Answer:
Greetings, thank you for your question and welcome to Healt Care Magic.

I understand your concern.

As in this stage of disorders that may correlate woth each-other, it may only be a coincidence that starting apixaban (Eliquis) is associated with the pain. Apixaban is used to thin the blood, so it can reduce the risk of thrombi (blood clots) formation and, therefore, dangerous events that may evolve from these thrombi. No pain is associated with apixaban. Therefore, measuring the risk between blood clot formation and the benefits of apixaban, my opinion is that this drug should not be stopped nor halved.

My recommendation is that, for the following week, the pain should be treated with over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs: ibuprofen, ketoprofen, indomethacin).

I hope my answer is helpful. I am happy to help, if you have follow-up question(s). Please rate the answer, if you do not.

Kindest regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist