What causes severe fatigue in children?
My son has a long day at school and tennis 2 x late afternoon afterwards, followed by 2 hours of homework. He goes to bed by 9 pm and is up at 5.15 am on school days.
He has been complaining of low energy at the end of the day when he does tennis and wants to know if he should start taking a protein shake.
My questions that need advice:
1. Should he take a commercial protein shake like those sold by vitamin chain GNC?
2. If yes, when should he take it – just before his tennis? Before homework to give him a boost?
3. He takes a daily multi-vitamin aimed at teenagers – good idea or not?
4. He often takes a 1000 mg Vitamin C drink – should he wait until he feels a cold coming on or not take it at all.
Thank you in advance,
use protein shake before and after tennis, use balanced diet .
Welcome at HCM
i appreciate your health concerns
As far as protein shake is concerned the important thing about it is timing.
Timing is very important in this regard apart from it type of protein shake also matters a lot.
Based upon the routine which you have mentioned , he should take protein shake before and after tennis. It will be sufficient for it as a beginner and also he is not body building so this time is perfect for it. Apart from it the protein shake must contain glutamine , carnitine.
Secondly I normally don't advocate multivitamin supplements instead he should consume regular balanced diet that must contain fruits egg and milk.
Vit C as far as I think should be taken in setting of acute viral flu. It helps in fighting acute viral flu..
Meanwhile stay calm and feel free to ask if you have any query.
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
One other question - lots of teens are using energy drinks to study, sports etc but I have read very bad things about them due to their hyper amounts of caffeine. What is your opinion please?
daily intake of caffeine should not be more than 8 grams..
Welcome XXXXXXX at HCM
i appreciate your followup
I completely agree to you that caffeine is being used by teenagers now a days for variety of purposes. It is important to know about the dose of caffeine. Generally , it is accepted that its intake should not be more than 8 grams in 24hrs, however,some authors advocates for10 grams.
The single cup of coffee on average contains 150mg of caffeine and one can use it with XXXXXXX In contrast to this, various supplements in market do contain a larger amount of caffeine per serving so one should be cautious about the dose, which should not exceed more than 8gram per 24hrs.
Hope your query is adequately addressed if you still have any feel free to ask any time...
Hope it helps
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Symptoms of Severe fatigue
- Symptoms of diabetic, severe fatigue
- Night sweats and severe fatigue
- What causes depression with severe fatigue
- Diagnosis of diabetic, severe fatigue
- What causes severe fatigue mild fever and body pain
- Diabetic, severe fatigue causes
- Causes of severe fatigue
- Severe fatigue and body aches
- What could cause a painful neck headache and severe fatigue