What causes severe fatigue and muscle aches?

Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have recently had a significant increase in facial and scalp oil. I have experience a lot of unexplainable fatigure, joint/muscle aches, and have had a lot of diarrhea/loose stools. I am wondering if these are connected/inter-related symptoms. I haven't really changed my lifestyle at all, so I can't find a reason for them.
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, I don't think all your symptoms are inter-related.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,
I read carefully your query and understood your concern.

It is difficult to find a single medical condition that connects all your symptoms.
In my opinion: Diarrhea, Fatigue and Joint/muscle pain can be related in conditions like Viral syndrome or Viral gastroenteritis. These are viral infections and the diagnose is based on symptoms, the physical examination and sometimes on the presence of similar cases in your community.

The most common way to develop viral syndrome(flu) or viral gastroenteritis (often called stomach flu) is through contact with an infected person or by ingesting contaminated food or water.

Oily skin can be attributed to hormonal imbalance (A spike of androgens that happen (eg. just before your menstrual period, also called premenstrual syndrome).

Increase in facial and scalp oil can also be due to:

-hyperthyroidism
-Stress
-sleep deprivation or sleeping too late.
-dehydration or not drinking enough water

Your lifestyle can affect your hormones and the amount of sebum produced in your scalp and hair.
However, if you have not changed your lifestyle lately and you have a healthy lifestyle, I'd suggest to do the thyroid tests: TSH, free T3 and freeT4 to see if you have any thyroid dysfunction that can be the culprit of your symptoms.

Hope this is helpful.
If you have other question,feel free and ask. I'll be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee