What causes severe elbow pain while on Cipro?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Back in August 2016 I was taking Cipro for about 2 weeks & I developed an intense pain in my right elbow [similar to tennis elbow]. I immediately stopped taking Cipro as I felt it was a side reaction. Now 6 months later I still have some discomfort in my right elbow and sometimes a burning sensation. It has gotten better over time. What do you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tendon damage due to Ciprofloxacin induced tendinitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Is the pain behind the elbow?

Ciprofloxacin is known to cause tendon damage so it's possible that the Extensor or Flexor tendons or even the Triceps tendon may be involved. This is just a speculation and mega to be confirmed on further tests. Do get an Xray and MRI of the elbow of the pain is preventing you from doing daily activities.

Avoid Ciprofloxacin. Mention to your future Healthcare providers about the possible allergy.

Perform physiotherapy to strengthen the involved muscles.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 5 hours later
What type of physiotherapy should I perform? Do you have any specific suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Common extensor, flexor and triceps strengthening and ultrasound therapy

Detailed Answer:
Perform Ultrasound therapy over the sore muscles.

Strengthen the common extensor origin, common flexor origin and triceps muscles. Tell that to your Physiotherapist and he/she would be able to execute this plan.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy