What causes severe earache?

Posted on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I seem to have an ear ache. Ear sore to the touch, and hurts. Not sick and no fever.
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
external ear infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.

In my opinion, you might be having infection of your external ear. External ear infection are painful. They are usually related to localised infection. Therefore if I were your treating doctor, I would have prescribed penicillin antibiotics + anti inflammatory medicines like paracetamol + diclofenac combination drugs twice daily for 3 to 5 days. Antibiotics ear drops may be helpful. The aforementioned drugs are prescription only medications. Your local doctor will know about it.

In the interim, you can try over the counter pain killers such as motrin. It should help you.

Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 13 hours later
How is this helpful? I know to take Motrin and or Tylenol. So you all are not able prescribe medicines? If I wanted to go to a doctor and pay $200 for an office visit, I would have done that. I'm not sure how this app is even remotely helpful if all you do is hand out common sense advise.
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
consult with the doctor and get evaluated.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
All these are prescription medicines.non of the antibiotics are available over the counter.
It would be advisable to consult with the doctor and get the prescription.
If not as per your request. I would prescribe augmentin tablet 625 mg bd for 5 days along with Tylenol.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist