• question-icon

What causes severe dry cough after eating?

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am suffering from dry cough with slight mucus sometimes, the cough become more whenever i eat something. Coughing is almost all the day with no cough when i woke up in the morning.
The intensity of increases if a i eat oily food.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are suffering from is GERD--gastro esophageal reflux disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to health care magic,
What you are suffering from is GERD--gastro esophageal reflux disease. This happens when the sphincter that closes the upper end of food pipe becomes loose. After food has finished reaching stomach normally this sphincter closes tight so that food does not regurgitate upwards. But when it becomes loose, the food continues to rise up when the stomach is churning to digest the food. These food particles pass from food pipe to wind pipe, cause irritation and the cough, especially s in your case on eating oily food.
Do you have any symptoms of regurgitation?
Are you overweight?
Do you exercise regularly?
Do you have any other medical problem?
Answer?--eat small 2 hourly meals that are not heavy. Avoid garlic, radish, coffee,tea, chocolates and Colas, lose weight, and take any preparation of Omeprazole with domperidone.

Please revert back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later
I don't have any symptom of regurgitation neither have any other medical problem
My weight is 92 with a height of 6 feet
I try to take stairs as much as possible but other than that not doing any excercise.
For the time being please suggest some medicine which will give some instant relief
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would still like you to follow the advise I have given

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX I would still like you to follow the advise I have given since the cough is food related. Besides Omeprazole 20 with domperidone once a day before meals, if the cough really bothers you--you can take a preparation of Monteleukast 10 and fexofenadine 120 one a day any time cough bothers you more. But do keep your doctor informed.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Geeta Sundar