What causes severe dizziness and balancing issues?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi...I had a lumbar puncture one week ago and a blood patch 5 days ago that did help my headache. However, for the past 3 days I have a "moving headache" that's not severe, along with severe feeling of being off balanced and dizzy. Went to the eye doc today who changed my contact prescription. Still having severe dizzyness and feel "off balance". Is this normal after an LP? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can wait for a few days more.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understood your concerns.

Headaches and balance issues may happen after lumbar puncture as a possible side effect, and usually resolve in about one week.

Epidural blood patch is used to treat severe cases, five days after blood patch is a little too early to be sure about its effectiveness.

I think you should rest for a few days more and use medication such as Ibuprofen (400mg thrice daily after food for next 2-3 days) for pain relief.

If these issues persist despite few days more, examination with lumbar MRI is necessary to understand better your condition.

However, Neurologist's evaluation will assess whether headaches are related to lumbar puncture or any neurological disorder.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee