What causes severe dizziness along with hip pain?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been feeling like the room is spinning and feel like I am going to fall down. I did fall down once. I also have hip pain. I am a healthy, active 70 year old man
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Inner ear issue most likely

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

That sensation of spinning movement is otherwise called vertigo. The most common cause of vertigo are inner ear issues. The inner ear apart from hearing is very much involved in balance and its disorders are typically manifested with vertigo. Causes may be infection, Meniere disease, medications, detachment and movement of free crystals in the inner ear labyrinths etc.

Another possible cause would be stroke. However usually stroke is associated with other symptoms of brain damage such as headache, speech and swallowing issues, weakness or numbness of the face or limbs etc. So I wouldn't regard it as likely.

In terms of alleviating the symptoms the most commonly used alternatives include meclizine or betahistine.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.