• question-icon

What causes severe diarrhea, large B cell lymphoma and irregular BM?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Cancer
Question: Thank you. Have had N/H Lymphoma - now have Large B Cell Lymphoma (sleeping as far as I know), but recently had pneumonia. Have now lung cancer (adenocarcinoma, cancer of the labia (told it's Lymphoma) and
recently had a few weeks of intensive diarrhoea - after organising a stressful Concert, plus having 1 close bereavement - and from which I lost a lot of weight. Hospitals/Specialists have been brilliant, but can do no more for me. I have a Macmillan nurse allocated to me, but am now in the middle of arranging a funeral for another very close young bereaved person which has 'staggered' me, and have begun having bowel movements immediately I've eaten something. Not diarrhoea. I know I should have passed-on long since, but wondered if this was a sign of the organs inside me finally 'giving up'. I also have Atrial fibrillation, but do get my INR blood tests regularly as am afraid of having a stroke which could render me TOTALLY incapable. I know everything is slowly failing within me, but I don't want to take up an appointment with my Specialists / Doctors as I know there's nothing they can do.......I just wondered if I could get an answer to this latest development?
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. Jean.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr.Shuba Hariprasad and will be helping you with your query today.

I am extremely sorry that you have been through so much already, are going through this now and marvel at how you have handled this with so much maturity. My deepest condolences for your loss.

Based on your symptoms, I an thinking Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).This is a disease based on exclusion of other possible causes and includes bowel movements just after food associated with bloating, passing gas, variable stool consistencies with or without mucus. This may be painful or just uncomfortable. ( do you have any of these associated symptoms).

Causes/triggers include Stress, Auto immune disorders, stress, drugs and more stress. Smoking is linked with a higher risk for developing IBS. The exact mechanism behind its pathogenesis has not been established but seems to be linked with inflammatory markers that are associated when the body is under stress of mind or body(illness).

Seeing that you have been through so much, this is the first thing that occurred to me (even though other conditions have to be ruled out by careful evaluation of your symptoms and clinical status).

I would do a physical exam, do a CT abdomen to rule out any tumors in your intestine (usually associated with alternating diarrhea & constipation, blood in stools, abdominal pain, but the weight loss concerns me).

Understanding your perspective on further treatment plans, I would first recommend some try at home remedies which may make a difference.

1) Eat smaller meals but more frequently through the day
2) Hydrate well. Do not drink too much water during or right after a meal (a few sips ,if absolutely necessary)
3) reduce fiber intake (especially supplements). Also dont have fruit along with your main meals. Give a gap of an hour either way.
4) certain food groups trigger IBS - too much refined grains,veges (beans- string &dried, cabbage, potatoes,). maintain a diary to check for triggers and avoid one at a time for 2-3 days to see if your symptoms are better.
5) take medications with food unless otherwise indicated. you may have it with a mouthful of water 10 minutes after a meal.
6) Chew your food well. This takes care of most of the digestion and hence reduces the work for your stomach and intestine.
7) add natural probiotics (yougurt with active cultures) to your diet, twice a day. This usually helps but may make it worse for a few people.
8)It is difficult to not feel or be stressed at this point. Please engage in relaxing techniques for half an hour twice a day (meditation, deep breathing, listening to your favourite music, reading a book).
9) try to get enough rest and sleep. take power naps. be with friends and well wishers . toddlers &babies can help brighten your day and are known to be stress busters for those who spend quality time with them. Sometimes just watching them play helps.

Try these for a week or two. See if there is any improvement. try to trace back to see if you have added any new supplements/medicines/ or foods in your diet.

If nothing works, or if pain, bloating, intestinal obstruction (absence of stools,blood in stool or just blood/mucus), please see your doctor.

I hope I've been helpful. please let me know if there is anything else I could help you with. If not, please close this discussion & rate my answer.
Hang in there. Hope you feel better.

Wish you good health
Dr.Shuba Hariprasad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad