What causes severe diarrhea and vomiting?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have loose all liquid boweis for 2 days and vomiting very tired ,high bp and on oxygen 24/
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
acute infection of the gastrointestinal tract

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Acute diarrhea and vomiting is normally due to a viral or bacterial infection of the gastrointestinal tract.

In the majority of cases, it can be managed at home but with a history of requiring oxygen, you may need to be assessed by your doctor if you feel very unwell.

Home treatment would normally involve: (1) holding off all solid food till there is a 4 hour window with no symptoms

When this 4 hour time slot passes, then you can try small amounts dry food eg biscuits, bread, plain rice. Banana and apple sauce

(2)using enough fluids to prevent or treat dehydration

It is important to use only small amounts of fluids at a time. If large amounts are used then vomiting may occur.

Initially 1 tsp to 1 tbs is used every 5 minutes for an hour. If this is tolerated then the amount can be increased.

It would be best to use gatorade or power aid or a oral rehydration solution. One of these would give back both the fluids and electrolytes that you are losing

(3)Probiotics may help to shorten the course of the illness . They can be used on their own or by using yogurts with probiotics

(4)meds such as lomotil or pepto bisomol may help with the diarrhea if they do not interact with any medications that you are using

Pepto bisomol also helps with nausea and vomiting, dramamine also helps vomiting as well

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions