What causes severe diarrhea and vomiting?
rehydration most important
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
The fact the you are diabetic is a concern because excess fluid loss in diabetes can result in hyperosmolar hyperglycemia .
This is a condition, associated with dehydration, that would also involve very high blood sugars and a change in mental state (Excess drowsiness, lethargy,delirium)
If your blood sugars are not very high (over 600) then this condition is not likely.
Of prime importance is to replace the fluid and electrolytes that you have lost.
This is the main important factor.
Because of the nausea, you should not drink large amounts at a time but start with small sips, then wait 5 minutes to make sure the small amount is absorbed, then take another sip.
Oral rehydration solutions or gatorade would be best because they would replace fluids and electrolytes.
Monitor for signs of dehydration like decreased urination, dry skin, increased heart rate, dizziness.
(2) HOld off solid food until the symptoms have stopped for at least 4 hours. When this occurs restart with bland , dry foods
(3)use probiotics- they help to repair the colon and aid in recovery
(4)there are agents available that can help with the diarrhea eg peptobismol , lomotil
Summary: (1) fluid and electrolyte replacement to treat or prevent dehydration are the most important aspects
(2)hold off solid food
(4)lomotil or peptobismol
(5)monitor your blood sugar
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What should be done in severe diarrhea
- Severe diarrhea and vomiting microgynon
- Can severe diarrhea cause bleeding
- Severe diarrhea vomits abdomen pain any treatment
- Severe diarrhea vomiting and hot flushes what to do
- Causes of severe diarrhea
- What causes severe diarrhea with extereme weakness
- What classes as severe diarrhea for microgynon
- Hida scan cause severe diarrhea
- What can cause severe diarrhea
- On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What...
- Having cramps and periods. Took advil. What should I do to get relief...
- I am 20 years old. Trying to increase height. Suggest some medicine
- Having sarcoidosis disease. What happens when they come into contact...
- After waking up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves. Looking...
- Put oxygen in nose during colonoscopy. Started sneezing and runny nose....
- Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the...
- what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment...
- Have blocked bile duct. Scan could not found gall bladder. What is the...
- Ultrasound showed benign cyst in kidney. Blood test showed low vitamin...