• question-icon

What causes severe depression?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Relationship
Question: I feel sad and depressed constantly for the past couple of months now. I cry at the drop of a hat and am unable to figure out the root cause of it.
Please help.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is treatable condition

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

from the available description it is almost clear that you are suffering with major depressive disorder which affects almost 17% of women in their life time. I mean to say that every sixth women and every 10th men in general population is vulnerable to depression and it can happen to any of us.

The condition is characterized by sadness, decrease interest in almost all pleasurable activities, decreased energy, low self esteem, hopelessness, worthlessness, disturbance of sleep and appetite to name a few. To diagnose it someone need to have these symptoms for at least two weeks and I feel you are having that criteria fulfilling.

Having said this I must assure you that depression is a treatable condition and a person on medications starts feeling change in 2-3 weeks after starting medication. In few cases the therapy also works.

Considering all these facts I request you to see a psychiatrist in your city without delay. It has been commonly observed that delay in treatment bring delayed response to treatment so it is always advisable to get it treated as soon as possible.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 29 hours later
Can I consult you regarding the same?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can if you are in XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for reverting back to me.

I reside in XXXXXXX and you can walk in my clinic between 3 to 8 PM any day of week.

In addition I offer online consultation and you can book one using url https://www.icliniq.com/ashok.

If you do not live in XXXXXXX than it will not be possible to buy prescribed medication from local pharmacy if prescribed online.

Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist