What causes severe coughing with vomiting up of mucus in an infant?

Dr. Prashant Mahajan

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi my 11 month old son has had chest congestion since 3 -4 days and has also been passing loose stools since 3 days. The ped has suggested zinconia, however, the same has had no impact on his congestion. Today he has been coughing a lot and has also been throwing out a lot of mucus and water he has taken....almost vomited 5 times since morning. Should I try a vaporizer??
Answered by Dr. Prashant Mahajan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the healthcaremagic

Clinically according to the history given by you she has viral bronchitis. Give her bronchodilator syrup and if required nebulisation after confirming with your pediatrician.

Vaporizer doesn't relieve chest congestion and sometimes it is associated with burn injuries. So don't give it.

In bronchitis coughing takes 7-8 days to decrease.

Happy to help you
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj