What causes severe coughing and wheezing while talking?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
32 year old female known asthmatic on treatment. I noticed that for the past 2 weeks, whenever I talk for a long time or laugh even mild laughs, I will start to get severe coughing and wheezing and will need to use rescue ventolin and end up vominting. Of course, I used to have cough with laughing, but never so severe like this time which prevents me from enjoying a friendly conversation. Any explanation for that change and what can I do about it?
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to step up your treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on HCM. After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from bronchial asthma.

2. Diagnosis and management of bronchial asthma need to be titrated by a Pulmonologist. There are two types of inhalers - maintenance and rescue inhalers and both have to be taken.

3. Diagnosis of asthma is based on history, chest xray, sputum examination, pulmonary function test and blood investigations- cbc, serum IgE levels, eosinophil count.

4. Based on the severity of disease, management is titrated. Ideally both maintenance and rescue inhalers have to be taken. In your case if your symptoms are not controlled on the current dosage then a step up of treatment is required in consultation with your physician / pulmonologist. It may include increasing the dose of maintenance inhaler and adding oral medications.

5. Reasons for increasing symptoms could be factors like change in weather, incorrect inhaler technique, increased disease severity,any other associated disease etc.

6. You need to get your detailed clinical evaluation with a pulmonologits at the earliest.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist