What causes severe cough with blood-tinged sputum during pregnancy?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: hi, im 10 weeks pregnant and at first i was throwing up yellow bile but now it is more coughing with like a strain of blood. is that normal?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No worries. Gastroesophagal disease common in pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
hi and thanks for the query

I think it is not normal to cough up blood . however, this is not very extraordinary especially amongst pregnant women.

the commonest cause of this situation is what is called gastro esophagal reflux disease.

excessive movement of acid into the throat fragilizes the lower portion of the throat (esophagus). this causes blood vessels to bleed reason why the blood is seen.

treatment involves simply an antacid and a proton pump inhibitor.

no worries for this is simply gastro esophagal reflux disease very common in pregnancy.

thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. please, do feel free asking further follow up questions in case of need.

Dr Bain

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar