What causes severe cough while on Methenamine?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Dr.Rynne, I have taken tablet of a medication that my urologist has prescribed for me. That med is called methenamine. I have been coughing since I took it. The tablet was very bitter and burned my mouth and my throat. I have never had a tablet do this before. Is this typical of this medication.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
it's not supposed to cause cough

Detailed Answer:

this antiseptic is not supposed to cause cough but it may cause an allergic reaction. Sometimes allergic reactions may present with various symptoms including cough. Other symptoms are expected as well, if an allergy is the cause. Such symptoms may include any of the following: swelling, itchiness, wheezes, shortness of breath, hypotension (faintness), etc

A new (unreported) side effect cannot be totally excluded. In order to prove such an effect, other causes of cough would have to be eliminated first. Your doctor should do that for you.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!