What causes severe cough while lying down?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My wife is suffering from cough for the last 2-3 days and taking Grilinctus cough syrup 5 ml twice daily but still she is not recovered from that, while lying on bed in night cough continues lot, what can be the reason for that, she had earlier loose motion/vomiting last week and she was admitted for 6 hours in hospital for glucose/metrogyl injection followed by 3days of antibiotics.
Now she is fine not having symptoms of loose motions/vomiting but having cough normal during day time but disturbing at night time. Please advice with details/reason for the same urgently.

Pls reply with details.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely gastriris/ reflux related cough.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. From her recent illness, medication and since the cough increases on lying down, the most likely cause will be gastriris and reflux.

2. Adding anti reflux medication, such as rabeprazole, domperdone, (many brands available), ranitidine (such as Histac EVT ), Mucaine Gel will help reduce the cough.

3. This is common and will settle down.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 minutes later
Shall I continue with current medicine or prescribe new syrup name along with dosage.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue the current medication and add the above medication.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Continue the medication that she is currently taking.

2. Add the above-mentioned medication.

3. Report the progress here.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later
Generally how long does it take to subside.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
A few days to a few weeks.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. It may take a few days to a few weeks for the cough to subside.

2. As long as the cough is decreasing, there is no cause for worry.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 26 hours later
Can i take Montek-LC daily once for 2 days including Grinlinctus 5ml twice for 2-3 days.

Will that help or any issues with that as i am not asthamatic.

Please provide details.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can continue this medication for 2-3 days.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1.Yes, you can take Tab. Montek-LC once a day for 2-3 days and Syrup Grilinctus 1 tspf (5 ml) twice a day for 2-3 days.

2. Remember to add the anti-reflux medication.

3. This medication will definitely help reduce the cough.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 days later
Dry cough is not subsiding quickly after taking Montek-LC for 2 days and Grinlintus syrup, so we have started taking LUPITUSS cough syrup from yesterday afternoon but not getting immediate results, could you please analyze the situation and provide the detail plan of action with required syrup and number of days it will take to cure completely.

Please also correct in case of wrong sequence or we need to stop LUPITUSS syrup.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may try this cough syrup for severe, stubborn cough.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Coscopin Plus cough syrup will be useful. You will need a prescription from a local doctor.

2. I assume that the anti-reflux medication has been started.

3. Kindly let me know the progress. It is not possible to predict how long these symptoms will require to resolve.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Pl advice whether zifi-az along with grinlinctus-bm can be given to get immediate relief or not.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 44 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can aviod these medications at present.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Zifi Az can be given, but not mandatory.

2. Grilinctus BM will increase the cough initially.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad