What causes severe cough despite taking medication?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Sir, my son (3.6yrs) is suffering from severe cough. Doctor prescribed - Ascoril LS + / Amrox Ls, Setride, Omancortil, Azithral, amoxycillin & potassium clavulanate syrup. Given the above prescribed medicines for 2 days, but cough is not under contol so far. pl. suggest.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Complete the course of antibiotics. Give steam inhalation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The cough and cold that we commonly suffer from, are caused due to certain viral infections and they have some allergic reactions associated. Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics and irrespective of treatment, such infections usually last for 5-7 days. That is the reason that giving antibiotics has not really helped. The other medicines that have been given, are supportive, but still it would take a few days and you will have to be patient. Steam inhalation can provide relief. Just sit with the child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapour will be in the air and the child will automatically breathe it in. Water in the form of vapour can reach deep inside and helps in diluting the mucus and hence helps in reducing the cough.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if you have any specific queries and I would be glad to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad