What causes severe cough after shoulder surgery?
Better to consult pulmonologist and get done CT thorax and bronchoscopy.
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
You might be having phrenic nerve injury during surgery.
And this causes paralysis of diaphragm of same side.
Diaphragm is strongest muscle of respiration. So if it does not work properly, there is high chances of right lung collapse (passive collapse).
Honestly speaking, this kind of phrenic nerve injuries are not revert back to normal.
They are kind of permanent injury.
So you might be having permanent right sided lung collapse.
And infection is common in collapsed (non functioning) lung which causes similar symptoms.
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done
1. CT thorax with Contrast
2. Bronchoscopy and XXXXXXX (bronchoalveolar lavage) analysis.
Both these are needed to rule out infection.
You may need antibiotics if infection is there.
In general, collapsed lung needs
1. Chest physiotherapy and deep breathing exercises
2. Inhaled bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS)
3. Adult Pulmonary vaccination with pneumococcal and Influenza vaccines to prevent recurrent respiratory tract infection.
4. Mucolytic, expectorant and antioxidants drugs.
So better to consult pulmonologist and discuss all these.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health. Thanks.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What precautions must be taken after shoulder surgery
- What causes severe cold and cough every month
- What is the cause for throat pain and severe cough
- What causes coughing after exercise
- What causes coughing after eating
- What is the cause of burst eardrum with severe cough
- What causes severe coughing at noght
- What to wear after shoulder surgery
- What type of therapy exercises after shoulder surgery
- What causes severe cough with mucus