What causes severe cough after having Coversyl for high BP?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Back Pain
Question: hi doctor
i am 49 years female,last oct 2014 i had a pain in my back , a cardiologis consulted me i did all the test for the heart , everything is normal i was prescribed aspirin 80 mg and coversyl 2mg and sandoz bisoprono l sandoz bisopronol 5mg because my blood pressure was high
fm that time i started getting cough, last month i stopped the aspirinand other medication and now i am only taking the coversyl 5mg for blood pressure . i am still getting dry cough .please advise
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Coversyl can cause cough.

Detailed Answer:
Coversyl is a blood pressure lowering medicine that is in the family of medications called Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitors (ACE inhibitor). This family of blood pressure medications is known for causing a dry cough in many people.

If the cough is bothersome, and it sounds like it is, the only known absolutely effective treatment for this is to stop taking it. Your doctor will likely want to switch you to a different blood pressure medicine and taper you off of the Coversyl (such as by halving it, then discontinuing it).

There have been some studies that iron supplementation and use of other medications may help the cough, but I have not seen any recent research showing a treatment for the ACE inhibitor cough other than discontinuing it. So please see or talk with your doctor to discuss this.

I hope this information helps you. Please let me know if there is anything further I can answer or help clarify on the topic.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh