What causes severe cold sensation and numbness in the fingertips?

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: what makes me get extremely cold all over and my fingertips on both hands go numb
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its low blood circulation ,low oxygen /iron/vitamin.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health care magic for your health concern.
Getting whole body cold & numb finger tips can be due to insufficient blood circulation in body, leading to low oxygen suply.. low energy production .the causes can be varied-
-Severe anaemia /weakness /iron or vitamin B12 defeciency.
-low blood circulatipn due to low blood pressure or some heart problems.
-Hypothyroidism... low thyroid hormone in body.
-Some auto immune conditions like lupus.
- Exposure to cold adds to the the symptoms in above conditions.
*Complete health check up followed by relevent investigations would help to know exact cause.
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query is welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1970

Answered : 7536 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Vitamin b12

doctor1 MD

Hi I m bhagyesh from india. I am 52 years old..i am pure vegetarian..no fish too.i want to know that is b12 injections are purely vegetarian or...

doctor1 MD

I have been prescribed to take vitcofol capsules or sefol z capsule once a day for 3 months as vitamin b3 level is 8.9 ng/ml and vitamin b12 is 268...

doctor1 MD

hi i am sandep jain .. i am suffering vitamin b12 deficiency..doctor suggested me vitcofol injection twice a day but it was occured sensitive..he...

doctor1 MD

hello doctor my father is aged 70. He suffers from peripheral neuropathy for the past 5 years. He has mild diabetes. He has taken many medications...

doctor1 MD

getting pain in some parts of chest in random time any type of injections for D3 and B12 and dose for same as per reports

doctor1 MD

I am a 65 year old female. In the past two months I've been experiencing progressive numbness and tingling in my left hand. Initially, the numbness...

doctor1 MD

I need help interpreting an EMG and NCS report. 1 Sensory nerve conduction studies of the bilateral sural nerves revealed no responses. 2 Motor...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

173 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction