What causes severe chills and fatigue in a alcoholic person?

Dr. Divakara

Posted on Tue, 11 Oct 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband is an unrepentant alcoholic, and has confirmed liver and kidney damage, he is hypertensive, but recently stopped his meds, saying that they made him too lethargic. He smokes at least a pack a day, and drinks a 750ml bottle of vodka in a 24 hour period. Now he is lying around saying that he's freezing and exhausted. Kinda tachy, achy. But mostly freezing.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to hospitalise him.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Greetings from Dr.Divakara.P

See the situation is not looking good for him . He might be going in for Hypoglycemia ( Low blood sugar ) or Liver failure resulting in Hepatic Encephalopathy ( Liver problem affecting the brain ) or his heart might be under strain as he has left his Blood pressure medication and that might have caused a rebound hypertension.

He definitely needs to be hospitalised and evaluated for the above problems . Kindly take him to ER now .

Give him some sweet to eat , that shall take care of any possible low blood sugars.

Check his temperature and if its low keep him warm by putting blankets over him .

But take him to ER as soon as possible.

Any clarifications feel free to ask.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng