• question-icon

What causes severe burning pain in the left side of the neck?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having severe burning pain from about 7 in below my neck on left side in the back. Pain goes down rear shoulder & down the bk of my arm. Even though I had spinal fusion surgery twice 20 yrs or so & do experience almost constant pain. I have never had a burning pain especially this severe. I am not currently being treated for spinal fusion other than Lyrica, Aleeve & 500 mg over counter ibuprofen. I am on disability & covered by Medicare. I have someone else entering all this.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain suggests radiculapathy of lower cervical or upper dorsal nerve roots.

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,I am Dr Gopal Goel , Orthopedic Surgeon.
What you have described is a radiculopathy( pressure on the nerve) involving lower cervical and upper dorsal roots. First of all we have to find exact cause.
Get Fresh MRI of cervical region + NCV both upper limbs to pinpoint the cause, nature of pressure and the level. Start methycobalamin + pregabalin along with your current medication and also physiotherapy.
If anything positive is found in the tests then please consult your surgeon ,as to what may be required.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon