What causes severe burning pain in lower end of the ribs?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have severe burning pain toward the bottom of my ribs, in the front, back and both sides. I'm 65 and overweight. Ibuprofen is not helping.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It appears to be gastric acidity

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
i am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Severe burning pain in the lower end of ribs on both sides, points towards acidity, either in the stomach or duodenum. Ibuprofen would not help, rather it can increase acidity if taken on empty stomach and cause further burning pain.
2. You will need to take antacids for immediate reduction of pain. Also on a regular basis proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole or pantoprazole daily for 3 weeks should help in reduction of burning pain.
3. Avoid spicy diet. Reduce stress, alcohol and smoking, eat regularly and have a good sleep. Avoid lying down immediately after food. If you feel sourness in the mouth or if you feel burning is travelling up, then you have acid reflux too. You will need omeprazole or pantoprazole along with domperidone combination.
4. Any medications, if not specified, do not take on an empty stomach as it will worsen acidity.
Painkillers like ibuprofen, paracetamol will worsen acidity. Take antacids during periods of burning pain and start omeprazole or pantoprazole.

Until omeprazole or pantoprazole (usually 2-3 days) acts, ranitidine twice daily can be taken to reduce acidity, if you do not want to take antacids.
Hope it helps.

Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM