question-icon

What causes severe bruising in the lower back area despite taking anti-inflammatory medication?

Posted on Tue, 15 Jun 2021
Question: hi . I had a fall against a kitchen worktop 3 days ago resulting in severe bruising to lower back area. I can move ok but on the lower left of back there is a spot that is still painful. Ie’ if I move a certain way or try to get up from a seated position it is hurting . I’m taking anti inflammatorys 2 / 3 times a day . Is there anything else that would help healing proses? . Regards XXXXXXX .
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Seems like a contusion

Detailed Answer:
As per your description it seems like minor contusion over back. Fracture is very unlikely because you won’t be able to walk if there is a fracture.
However get an X-ray to rule out fracture. Contusion will resolve well with conservative management in few days.
You can take analgesics like ibuprofen or diclofenac for pain. Anti inflammatory drugs like seratiopeptidase can be taken. Apply ice packs and take bed rest for couple of days, keep in mind that it is the most important thing.
Pain will persist for few days and you will be in good shape in a week.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Shinas Hussain