What causes severe breast pain despite normal mammogram test results?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I am 68 years old. I am in good health except that I have high cholesterol, for which I am taking Lipitor and I have arthritis that is well controlled with occasional OTC medication. I had a hysterectomy when I was 26 years old. I have never taken any hormone replacement medication until about six months ago when I started taking Estrace vaginal cream. My current concern is that I have noticed some pain in my left breast/nipple (I can't tell which it is). The pain is only noticeable if the breast is touched or bumped. The pain is like a sharp stabbing pain that goes away immediately as soon as pressure is taken off the area. There is no redness, swelling, changes in the nipple, and I have not noticed any new lumps, although my breasts are very lumpy naturally. I don't know my family medical history as I am adopted. I have annual mammograms which have always been normal. I first noticed the pain about one week ago. I thought it might just be a bruise or something so I just waited to see if it would go away on its own. Its still there. It has not gotten any better or worse. Is this something to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing worrisome.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query in detail,if there is no redness, swelling,change in shape and size of breast or lump than there is nothing worrisome,as you are annually getting your mammograms.
This may be due to pressure or minor trauma ,keep well support to breast ,it will go away.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana