Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

What causes severe breast pain despite normal mammogram test results?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12893 Questions
I am 68 years old. I am in good health except that I have high cholesterol, for which I am taking Lipitor and I have arthritis that is well controlled with occasional OTC medication. I had a hysterectomy when I was 26 years old. I have never taken any hormone replacement medication until about six months ago when I started taking Estrace vaginal cream. My current concern is that I have noticed some pain in my left breast/nipple (I can't tell which it is). The pain is only noticeable if the breast is touched or bumped. The pain is like a sharp stabbing pain that goes away immediately as soon as pressure is taken off the area. There is no redness, swelling, changes in the nipple, and I have not noticed any new lumps, although my breasts are very lumpy naturally. I don't know my family medical history as I am adopted. I have annual mammograms which have always been normal. I first noticed the pain about one week ago. I thought it might just be a bruise or something so I just waited to see if it would go away on its own. Its still there. It has not gotten any better or worse. Is this something to worry about?
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing worrisome.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query.
I have gone through your query in detail,if there is no redness, swelling,change in shape and size of breast or lump than there is nothing worrisome,as you are annually getting your mammograms.
This may be due to pressure or minor trauma ,keep well support to breast ,it will go away.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor