What causes severe back pain that radiates to the groin area?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hi. i had severe left back pain that radiated to the side and front and down to groin. i went to the hospital as i thought it was kidney stone. the dr at the hospital also thought it was stones. had a blood test for kindney infection but all was good. xray was also good. i wasnt able to urinate at all. had the urge to go so many times but couldnt. when i finally did urinate at the hospital it was dark and cloudy but they tested it and said all fine and sent me home. since i passed the urine at the hospital i have been drinking alot of water and going to the toilet to urinate alot. the urine is clear. but i have no idea if ive passed the stone or not. any thoughts would be great. thank you
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to do Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .Based on the facts that you have posted the possibility of you having UTI with stone in kidney has to be ruled out .

Though X ray is negative for stone in kidney the possibility of having radiolucent stone has to be ruled out by doing Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen This will also reflect changes in Pelvi Calyceal System of kidney and ureter and will help to confirm about recent passage of stone .

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Renal function tests .
4) Intra Venous Pyelography (If required )

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

In the mean while start taking antibiotic like Cefexime and Nitrofurantoin twice daily .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 34 minutes later
i have a 9hr flight in 9 days so im really not sure what to do.
Brief Answer:
All these tests can be fonished within a day

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .
All the test I have suggested can be completed within few hours but it will he you to settle the problems and establish diagnosis so that any appropriate treatment if needed can be started before going for long journey.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
dr do you know if its normal to pass a stone and then urinate so much. i have gone about 20 times in less then 24hrs
Brief Answer:
Possibility of stone being impacted in intra mural portion of the ureter.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Frequency for urination can be mostly due to stone being impacted in intra mural portion of the ureter which can be confirmed by Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen .

Thanks and Regards
Dr.Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 20 hours later
hi dr. i went to g.p today and he ordered a c.t kub scan which i done straight away. i asked the person who operated the machine if there was anything bad but he daid he was not allowed to comment. all i am having is frequent urination which my g.p told me could still be from the pills i had when in hospital. he said those pills will make you urinate and i also have been drinking alot of water. my g.p also said he thinks i might have passed the stone allready as there is no blood found in urine and no damage to the kidney and my urine is a clear to a very pale yellow colour. when i urinated at the hospital on saturday that just passed two days agao my urine was dark yellow amd cloudy but still no blood found on testing.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait for C.T Scan to be reported

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

I can not comment on unless I personally see the C.T Films or report .Let us wait for sometime till it gets reported .

As regards your frequent urination I do not think it can be due to medications given to you 2 days back .

Do not get panic and wait for C.T Scan to be reported by competent authority . .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 0 minute later
ok. thank you dr.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
O.K Bye

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing again .
Do write after you get report and if need my help .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 minutes later
will do. am just worried about kidney cancer but will find out soon i guess
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow my advice of not to get panic

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .
I can understand your concerned but at the same time becoming panic is not going to solve your problem .Relax and wait for few more hours.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
ct scan found 1 small stone still in the ureta and one small one in the kidney itself. g.p has given me duodart to help it flow through to the bladder. does that sound right?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue taking medication..

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks fr follow up .

Contnue taking medicine prescribed by your physician .The stones will pass out spontaneously .

Ensure to drink more water .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
ok. will do. thank you
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
O.K Bye

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Hav a fast recovery .

If you have time please do write your review about my suggestions and comments on your problem on floor of Health Care Magic .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 32 minutes later
will do dr. just hope it dosnt give me pain on my flight. that would be horrible!!
Brief Answer:
You can keep pain killers with you

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .You can keep pain killers like Spsmo Prxyvon or Brufen with you and take it if required
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 18 hours later
dr do you know how long it usually takes to pass at all? my urine is white from all the water i am drinking. is it possible to drink too much water as well?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Difficult to predict precise time frame require to pass down the stone

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

It is difficult to predict precise time require to pass out the stone .However under normal circumstances it should pass out within three weeks .You can repeat your Ultrasound Scanning after three weeks .

The white color urine is due to more water ntake and not to be worried about.

Thanks and REgards.
Dr.Patil.