What causes severe back pain below the left shoulder blade while lying down?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 5 Oct 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I contracted flu like symptoms this weekend. I coughed very hard for about two days. on the third day I had severe back pain up just below my left shoulder blade. It only hurts when I lay down to sleep. the pain goes away when I sit or stand. The pain is so intense that I cannot sleep. Do you have any causes or recommendations for this condition? YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle strain

Detailed Answer:

The pain you are experiencing is most probably due to a muscle strain. This strain is caused by the vigorous coughing and that has preceded the emergence of the pain.

I would recommend that you take an anti-inflammatory, analgesic medication such as Ibuprofen tablets every eight hours for three days. And if you still suffer from coughing, then you should take Dextromethorphan once daily before going to bed.

However, if the pain increases when you take a deep breath, then I would recommend that you get an X-ray chest to exclude lung disorders such as pneumonia.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana