What causes severe back pain and painful urination in a gross hematuria patient?
See a dr for pyelonephritis.
Hello and welcome,
It sounds like your girlfriend may have pyelonephritis (kidney infection). Symptoms of this are fever, flank pain, sometimes nausea, and pain with urination can happen too.
While uncomplicated bladder infections can sometimes be treated with out antibiotics, a kidney infection needs to be treated with an antibiotic as it is a riskier situation. Also, she should have a urine sample sent to a lab for a complete "culture and sensitivity test" which will show which antibiotics will work best. That takes a couple of days, so in the meantime, the doctor will start her on an antibiotic based on which ones usually work well. In the office or clinic, the staff can do an initial urinalysis, but the urine must be sent for culture.
So, don't wait - go to an urgent care center, or if there are none in your area, go to the ER.
She will start to feel better soon after the antibiotic kicks in.
I hope this information helps. If, in the future, you want to request me specifically on a question, just put my name at the beginning of your question and it will be routed to me.
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Gross hematuria with no pain
- Gross hematuria right side back pain and gout
- Gross hematuria causes
- What is the cause and treatment for severe back pain
- Gross hematuria causes in men
- Causes of severe back pain
- What causes blood in urine and severe back pain
- What causes severe back pain
- Gross hematuria without pain
- What causes severe back pain that radiates to the leg