• question-icon

What causes severe anxiety while on Risperidone?

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: im 37 female weight 80 . Had severe anxity and racing thoughts and started taking Resperidone 4 months back 1 mg/day . Now I feel so normal with no racing thoughts , im back to yoga and walks , anger is also gone . I take it at night and get very peaceful sleep . Little weight increase but trying to control it by brisk walking and yoga with diet.

Please suggest how long shall i continue taking resperidone.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Careful with withdrawal effects

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the question.

I always suggest the discontinuation of such medicines 5HT-D2 medicines should be very very slow, always under guidance of the treating doctor after his approval. The withdrawal are common. So read about withdrawals first and if you are ok with those are able to recognize in time, you can set for discontinuing slowly.

Basically you have to reduce it 10% every two - 3 weeks, ie you have to take only 0.9mg per day for next three weeks. After that 0.81 mg per day for next three weeks and later 0.73mg/day for next three weeks. If you observe I am reducing the dose by 10% on the previous dose. With this way the harm is less from withdrawing dose. This way you take up to 6 months to become nil dose.

Thereotically a 10% dosage reduction every 4 weeks, with the 10% calculated on the last dosage. The amount of decrease is proportionate to the last dosage and that keeps getting smaller.

PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR AGAIN BEFORE DISCONTINUATION AND DO IT UNDER SUPERVISION.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 48 minutes later
thanks but resperidone always comes in 0.5/1/2mg like so difficult to maintain 0.9/0.8 type dosages .

anyway I understood .
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Buying a balance that weights gold in glass cage

Detailed Answer:

Yes true to measure that weights. You have to invest in balance that weights gold in glass cage to measure.
It is bit difficult to do that. Hence in western nations the pill is powdered and dispensed to the person for ease of weighing.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 14 hours later
thanks Madam

I believe you are not aware resperidone is not allowed to be powered .

Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Respiridone can be powdered if not extended release variant

Detailed Answer:

Risperidone cannot be powdered if it is extended release variant or other variants which have a coating on them.
Its common practice to powder them in upscale pharmacies.

Never mind, if you have any more queries please let me know.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam